Tuesday 24 January 2012

FashionistA Magnetism Nail Lacquer


I am a massive fan of The Saturdays so when I heard that they were endorsing a new type of nail varnish I knew I would have to give it a try. The nail varnish (or lacquer as its called) in question is FashionistA Magnetism and it has been available to buy exclusively from Superdrug stores for a few months now. There are five colours to choose from, one for each member of the band. Each has been named after one of The Saturday’s song titles: First up is Frankie’s Notorious Silver, then we have Mollie’s Purple me Up, Una’s Ego Green, Vanessa has Forever is blue and finally Rochelle’s is called Fired up red. These nail lacquers retail at £6 each and the special magnet that is required to achieve the ‘wave’ look is sold separately for £3 – Not overly cheap but not too expensive either. 17 also have a magnetism nail varnish but unlike the FashionistA version, the magnet is supplied on the lid and is not sold separately which is a much better idea in my opinion. FashionistA claim that the reason behind the lid being sold separately is that they hope to release more magnets in the future that create different patterns on the nail rather than just the wave. This means that when a new magnet is released you can just buy the magnet rather than having to fork out for the nail varnish with the magnet attached which makes sense.

I treated myself to Frankie’s Notorious Silver (Which is more of a grey in my opinion) and Mollie’s Purple me Up.



“Created with The Saturdays by FashionistA, bring your nails to life with Magnetism Nail Lacquer!”

Ease of use – These nail lacquers are extremely easy to apply. They go on quite thick so only one coat is required if wearing alone. The instructions on the box are very clear and easy to follow – Apply one coat of nail lacquer, leave to dry, apply second coat of nail lacquer, hold magnet over nail before second coat dries et voila! I did find that if I just held the magnet in place it didn’t cover my whole nail meaning that only half of my nail had the wavy pattern on it. To solve this I just rock the magnet from one side of my nail to the other and then slowly move it up my nail (obviously without touching the nail!) to make sure that the whole nail is wavy.

Affordability – As mentioned above, these nail lacquers are £6 each and the magnet is £3. I think this is quite a reasonable price, however the 17 version is only £5.99 and the magnet is included. I don’t mind paying £6 a bottle for the Magnetism Nail Lacquer but I imagine that FashionistA will be getting a fair bit of competition from 17 as I can’t see people paying £9 for one bottle of FashionistA Magnetism nail lacquer and the magnet when they can buy the 17 [name] which includes the magnet for just £5.99. I think this is where the power of The Saturdays comes in. FashionistA have been very clever by enlisting The Sats to endorse this product – It’s the only thing that made me buy it and I dare say I’m not the only one! A very clever marketing tool.



Value for money – As these Nail Lacquers apply so thickly and not much product is needed to cover the nail I envisage these two bottles lasting me a very long time which justifies the £6 price tag.

Quality of product – I hate to say it but I am quite disappointed with the quality of this product. I had such high hopes for it and I do love the look it achieves but it just doesn’t last on my nails long enough. Without a top coat it chipped after just one day and with a top coat it chipped after two days. Usually I would just go over the chips and cover them but because of the wave pattern this is not possible which means completely re-painting the nail again which is a pain!

Packaging – The packaging of this product is simple yet effective. Each box has a picture of a Saturdays member wearing the nail lacquer that is relevant to them and their signature/autograph has been embossed into the box in silver text. Clear instructions and images showing how to apply the product have been printed on one side of the box and on the other side is a picture of the effect that the magnet creates. On the back of the box there is a picture of all five of The Saturdays and ‘swatches’ of their Nail Lacquer shades above them.

I can only apologise for the rubbish swatch photo! Its just so hard to photograph the effect!

Overall I love this product. The two colours I picked up are lovely and I wouldn’t mind adding the other three to my collection! The only negative is the longevity of the product, it just doesn’t last long enough which is a real shame as it could have scored top marks from me if it just lasted that little bit longer!


Have you tried FashionistA Magnetism Nail Lacquer yet? What were your thoughts?

With Love,

Rachel x

1 comment: