Saturday 5 May 2012

Makeup MAYhem POST 3 - The Concealer Face Off



THE CONCEALER FACE OFF




Over the years I have tried numerous different concealers, some have worked well whilst other have been pretty poor! I thought it would be good to do a quick concealer comparison post for all those of you who, like me, struggle when it comes to finding a good concealer...


 The first contender is Collection 2000's Lasting Perfection Concealer. This comes in the usual tube with sponge applicator like most liquid concealers. For the purpose of this post I am going to call this type of packaging the 'Lipgloss tube' simply for the fact that I cant think of any other way to describe it and its similar to a lipgloss tube and applicator! (Arent I a clever girl!). The consistency of the concealer is perfect - not too thick, but not too thin either. The shade I have is 2 - Light and this covers my dark circles perfectly - something that most other concealers struggle to do! Over all I am quite impressed with this concealer and at under £5 you cant go wrong! One thing I would add though is be careful when applying this - if you apply too much it can end up look cakey but I suppose most concealers do!
Packaging - *****
Coverage (Dark Circles) - *****
Coverage (Spots & Blemishes) - ****
Longevity on skin - ****
Price - ****

Next up is Maybelline's 24hr Concealer. This is in similar packaging to the Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection but is slightly fatter and not as tall. I have shade 1 - light and this is a pretty good match for my fair skin. This concealer works amazingly well on blemishes and spots but isnt so great when it comes to hiding under eye circles. The consistency is perfect, not to thick, not too thin, just like the Lasting Perfection from Collection 2000. The concealer its self is creamy and applies smoothly giving a nice soft finish. The only real down side to this concealer (other than it not covering dark circles) is the longevity - it just doesnt last on the skin long enough meaning re-applying throughout the day which can be a pain in the bottom!
Packaging - *****
Coverage (Dark Circles) - **
Coverage (Spots & Blemishes) - *****
Longevity - **
Price - ***


Next we have the Helen E Cosmetics yellow under eye concealer. I dont think Helen E is a well known brand - I just stumbled across it somehow and they had a special offer on the Yellow under eye concealer so I thought why not! When I first received this concealer I was impressed with the coverage it gave but slowly I have gone off of it. It is really cakey and ends up creasing, no matter how little is applied. As yellow counteracts blue tones it does hide under eye circles very well (as the name would suggest) but it just made my eyes feel so heavy! I cant really comment on using this concealer to cover blemishes as the main purpose of it is to cover under eye circles, not spots so it doesnt seem fair to criticise it on something it wasnt designed to do!
Packaging - ****
Coverage (Dark Circles) - ****
Coverage (Spots & Blemishes) - N/A
Longevity - ***
Price - ***

Last but not least is the Mac Studio Finish concealer. This is my all time favourite concealer for covering spots and blemishes but it lets its self down when it comes to dark under eye circles. I really like the packaging of this product and think it is much more hygenic to have concealer in a pot rather than in the 'lipgloss tube' packaging as the sponge applicators are quite an unhygenic design in my opinion. The consistency of this concealer is perfect - smooth and creamy, which makes it easy to apply. Although the pot is quite small, very little product goes a long way so I can see this little pot lasting me a long time which makes the higher price of £13.50 more justifable.
Packaging - *****
Coverage (Dark Circles) - ***
Coverage (Spots & Blemishes) - *****
Longevity - ****
Price - ***
Overall I cant whittle it down to just one concealer but my personal favourites are the Mac Studio Finish to cover spots and blemishes and the Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection for under eye circles. This is the perfect combination for me - It took me a while to find it but I got there in the end!
Have you found the perfect concealer yet? What did you think of this comparison?
With Love,
Rachel x.





2 comments:

  1. Great post :) I love the Collection 2000 concealer :)

    Charlee
    http://charmedcharlee.blogspot.com/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Collection 2000 one too, in fact I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't like it! x

      Delete